Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It is time for Advent! My Advent Calender How to and a free printable


When I was a kid I remember making a large felt advent calendar with my mom.  It was at least 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide... maybe larger.  It was set up as a winter scene (large white piece of felt) with colorful felt houses made from squares and triangles lined up along a road made of rick-rack.  I think we had a snowman who moved from one house to the next each day until finally he reached the top where there was a felt church.

The earliest memories of that calendar are wonderful.  In my 3 year old mind it was totally cool.  However, as I got older I noticed all the flaws that only a mother could love.  When my mom tried to pass it on to me I had to inform her that there was a lot more for her to love than for me. :-) What she loved about it was the memory of making it and using it with me.  After years of use it just wasn't pretty anymore, and is not something that I think my boys would marvel at.  They didn't make it, for one, and secondly it has seen better days.

A third point I should mention was that we only counted down to Christmas when I was a child.  There wasn't much explaining about Jesus.  I want for my children to excitedly count down to Christmas morning but also realize the importance of this holiday and the meaning.  I thought I'd share with you our advent calendar that I made for our family this year here. I have decided to make it in a very small 8.5 x 11" size.  Print it for your own personal home use and enjoy!  I'd be really happy if you did.  Please let me know too. (It will encourage me to make more stuff!).  The tree and design is my own but I borrowed the idea for scripture each day from an advent chain idea on the Free Methodist Church USA website.

Sure we can keep it and use it again next year but if not it's small enough that I won't feel terrible about tossing it into the recycle bin with gift wrap after Christmas.

To make:  Just print out each page.  On the tree page use a exacto knife to cut the three sides of each door.  On the second sheet use a thin line of glue all the way around the outside edge and then across and up and down each row and column.  Match the top edge and then press making sure not to catch any of the doors with glue.

To use: Open one door daily and discuss the topic in all caps with your child.  Read the scripture to get an idea of what might be good to talk about with your kids and also to help you keep in mind the meaning of the holiday.  My three year old is content discussing the daily topic.  Even with no candy he is excited to open a door each day! :-)


Please do tell me if you used this.  It would be like a gift to me if you did!

Merry Christmas!

UPDATE:
Forgot to mention that I love these ideas and will probably use them too:
This is an advent chain with names of Jesus.  I think I will just print it, assemble it and hang it instead of using it as an advent.
And this is a list of things to do with kids each day to enjoy the season.  loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment