Saturday, October 20, 2012

WAG Bars- Not intended for Dogs! Wholesome Awesome Granola Bars

I recently was directed to a website Weelicious by a friend of mine to try some cookies made with a banana base.  While I was there I instantly began looking for granola bar recipe.  I have never been very successful with granola bars. They are such a good treat but the ones from the store are expensive if you get the good ones and gross if you buy the cheap ones.  I hate looking at the side of the package at the list of ingredients.  Why can't it just be oats, raisins, nuts, sugar, oil etc.  Why does it have to include all crazy named ingredients?  I know why.  Really I do know why... it's because they need the preservatives to make it last and to stick together and to enhance taste etc....

But just look at any granola bar and if you are an experienced home cook/baker like me there has to be a time when you've said "This looks so easy."  The ingredients are all visible for crying out loud! Why can't I just make them at home.

Well, the search is not only over, Weelicious's recipe has intrigued me to such a degree that I am now experimenting with ingredients and if I might say so; making them better and better!  My husband even likes these healthy snacks and that is saying a lot for such a fan of the gross candy versions in the supermarket.

Let me just tell you that if you have been looking for the perfect granola bar recipe
You
     Can
          Stop
               Right
                    Now.


Head on over to Weelicous and see her granola bar recipe.  Then let me tell you that I have used her recipe and then tweaked it.  My alterations and one technique change have made what I find to be fantastic bars.  They're so great I've even given them as gifts.  Enjoy.

WAG Bars- Not intended for Dogs!
Wholesome Awesome Granola Bars

Ingredients

  • 4 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seat meats
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 3/4 cup raisins 
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup honey

To Prepare:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
  2. Get our your Kitchen Aid Mixer and put in all the ingredients.
  3. Use the paddle mixer and let it mix until all ingredients look wet and then a few more seconds.
  4. If you don't have a counter top mixer then mix the dry ingredients thoroughly separate from mixing the wet ingredients thoroughly.  Then put them all together in a bowl and combine until everything looks wet and evenly distributed.
  5. Line a 13 X 9" casserole dish with parchment paper.
  6. Pour the mixture into the dish and spread evenly.
  7. Use a small hand roller to press the ingredients down into the dish.  I use a pampered chef roller like this one.
  8. Bake for 40-45 minutes in the oven on the middle rack.
  9. Allow to cool for 5 min and then take the edges of parchment and lift the granola rectangle out and place on a large cutting board while leaving the parchment under the granola.
  10. Allow to cool completely then cut into 1" wide bars approximately 3-5 inches long.  (So, two horizontal cuts across the 13" side will leave you with 3"bars.  One horizontal cut on the 13" side will leave you with 4.5" bars.)

No comments:

Post a Comment